man standing, arms crossed, in front of a sign that says UB.

"The work already accomplished in partnership with so many of you is exceptional. I am proud to be a part of this community of good people."

A Message from Interim Dean S. Todd Brown

Dear Friends,  

As arctic temperatures sweep the nation, I extend warm greetings from Buffalo.  For those who may not know me, I first came to Western New York in 2009 to join the UB Law faculty.  I was excited to meet my new colleagues but braced for the inevitable cold.  Upon our arrival, my family and I were immediately charmed by the warmth of a community that quickly made us feel at home.  Now, 14 years later, I am truly honored to serve as UB Law’s interim dean.

My appreciation for the Buffalo community stems from my upbringing as the son of a U.S. Navy chief living in several southern states before attending Columbia Law School in Manhattan.  While Buffalo may be miles away from my roots, I see parallels between the hospitality I experienced growing up and the spirit of Buffalo’s residents, good people who come together with a shared sense of community and purpose.

That’s especially true at the law school, where we understand that building pathways to justice—the theme of this issue—takes more than individual efforts; it takes a collective commitment to build upon and honor the great work that has already been done.   

This issue looks back on some of our most recent accomplishments resulting from those collective efforts.  That includes the critical community service provided by our clinics (pages 4-8), new initiatives to prepare our students for success (pages 10-13), and the outstanding work of our growing faculty (pages 25-32).  Our shared purpose and mission are also reflected by our many alumni and friends who have dedicated their careers to the pursuit of justice (pages 14-19) and supporting the next generation of justice seekers (pages 7, 9, 11, and 33).

The work already accomplished in partnership with so many of you is exceptional.  I am proud to be a part of this community of good people, and I thank you for your warmth and support.  

Best regards,    

S. Todd Brown
Interim Dean and Professor of Law