2023 Commencement Ceremony

The Class of 2023 had a UB Law experience like no other, including a first year spent learning entirely online during a global pandemic. So their Commencement ceremony was especially sweet for a class nicknamed Excelsior, Latin for “higher.” Our newest graduates are indeed going forth with the highest aspirations—to become agents of justice in whatever they do. Here’s a look back at that joy-filled celebration of achievement.

woman wearing graduation regalia, speaking into a podium.

Keynote Address

Hon. Rose H. Sconiers ’73
Associate Justice (Ret.)
New York State Supreme Court Appellate Division, Fourth Department

“I encourage you to find a way to serve and create a legacy beyond your legal career. Remember this moment. As I look at all of you, I see infinite potential, boundless optimism, and endless opportunity ahead. Imagine the positive impact you can have on your community.”

Dean’s Address

Aviva Abramovsky

“Three years ago, I welcomed you to the law school via Zoom amid a global health crisis. Nothing was certain. Our world had never seen such disorder. Nevertheless, you showed up… You would not let the pandemic deny your goal of obtaining your law degree. And you did not. And that is the embodiment of courage, as well as hope, and faith in yourselves and in this institution.”

Student Address

Chanel Mònet Powell ’23

“Over the past few years, I’ve had the opportunity to bear witness to the growth of changemakers, future policy writers, and people who have fire in their hearts. Everyone in this room has been able to learn from someone else, to partner with someone who inspires you to be better or work harder, to watch people lift others up and encourage them while we’re all aboard this crazy ride.”

Top Honors

Dean’s Medal
Buffalo 5/14 Survivors Fund  Local Steering Committee

two men holding up a plaque during a graduation ceremony.

Committee Co-Chairs Paul Vukelic and Rev. Mark Blue

Ken Joyce Excellence in Teaching Award
Hon. Glenn Murray, Administrative Law Judge

two men holding up a plaque.

Prof. S. Todd Brown with Hon. Glenn Murray

Student Awards

Max Koren Award
Jennifer S. Shelton

John N. Bennett Achievement Award
Jessica Kathryn Stickl Asbach

Dale S. Margulis Award
Yomaris Sánchez-Orona